The SPEC Retreat Centre is located on a beautiful plot of land in the village of Pinner, North West London. The area was historically called Waxwell Farm, and now boasts excellent retreat facilities, including: seven acres of beautiful grounds, and the St. Joan of Arc Residential Complex and the Rotunda.
Waxwell House, historically part of Waxwell Farm, consists of three wings: the Tudor wing, the Victorian wing, and the Modern wing. The Tudor wing was constructed at the end of the 16th Century. An extension was added in the 1800s and is aptly called the Victorian wing. In 1947, Waxwell Farm was purchased as a gift for the Grail Society. The chapel and accommodation – the Modern wing – were added in 1957. Waxwell Farm was purchased by the Diocese of Westminster in 2010 and became the new home for Westminster Youth Ministry in March 2014.
St. Joan of Arc Residential Complex
The St. Joan of Arc Residential Complex, named after the young Saint Joan of Arc, was completed in Autumn 2017. “The Arc” was built in our grounds, where it is beautifully cut off from surrounding roads, ensuring a quiet haven for all those who visit. The building consists of two floors: the lower floor is dedicated to meeting room spaces, including our dining hall, while the upper floor is the accommodation area.
The Rotunda is a light and airy round building adjacent to the Main House. It was originally built in 1963 and was recently renovated in 2017. The Rotunda is a spacious round hall, with an abundance of natural light. It is used both as retreat space and it can also be converted into a venue for meetings, activities and entertainment.
Grounds and Gardens
The SPEC Retreat Centre is set in approximately seven acres of undulating grounds that range from manicured lawns and diverse flower-beds to more ‘wilderness’ areas with wild plants and abundant wildlife. Considering we’re only in Zone 5 of Greater London, the grounds offer an impressive amount of space for exploring, playing, and finding secluded corners to simply be with God.